Sunday, February 23, 2014

Coming Soon to Own on Videocassette

Some of you heard about our recent purchase of a VCR and several VHS tapes. Here are my thoughts on the subject:

1. I love movies.  Love them.  And so does my husband! When we have the time, we love ending our day with unwinding and watching a movie together.  So of course we aspire to someday owning a massive beautiful collection of great movies.  The classics, ya know?

2. Which leads me to my next point.  First of all, I am all for new technology and moving forward and all that.  But am I the only one who thinks maybe we're racing to develop all this new tech a little too fast?  So fast, that it's almost impossible to gather said movie collection before the format changes? 
Seriously.

3.  DVDs and Blu-ray....expensive.  Ridiculously so.  You can go to the store and buy a newly released movie for around $20 right?  We bought 22 movies on VHS for less than that. 22. You know why? Nobody wants their tapes anymore! "Blu-ray has crystal clear sound! Look at that picture! It's so real!"  You know what guys? Two minutes into our VHS version of the Lion King, I didn't notice.  Honestly.  And don't get me started on how nostalgic I felt pressing "stop" and "rewind" at the end of the film.

So what am I getting at? Am I insisting you all visit your local thrift store and empty their shelves of great movies on tape like we did? Not exactly. I mean, then there wouldn't be any left... :)  But we did double our movie collection for very little cost.  And we do feel very smart about it.  So smart, I just needed to share.

1 comment:

  1. Great! We need to get a VCR so we can watch all our great VHS tapes and our family videos. Not a bad idea AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete